Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pork Chop and Barley Stew

Well, we're back from two weeks in India! What a phenomenal trip. Definitely inspired to dive back into my Indian cookbook and try that more in earnest.

In the meantime, I have about five recipes waiting to be posted, so I need to get cracking. I don't even remember when I made this one, but it was great! Fantastic for winter. I never cook with barley, and was somehow under the impression that I don't like it, which is most definitely not the case. And I love cooking with a bone-in meat - the flavors are just that much better. One thing I did learn about barley is that it's very absorbent - so this was pretty thick. You could put less barley in if you wanted a soupier consistency, but I feel like the creaminess makes it more of a comfort food.

2 bone-in pork chops, diced (leave some meat on the bones
Salt
Pepper
Hungarian paprika
Olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 small onions
1 stalk celery, sliced thin
10 baby carrots, sliced thin
2 plum tomatoes, diced
8 cups chicken broth
Turmeric
1 cup barley
Olive oil

Start with a large, heavy pot. Brown the pork chops, including the bones, on both sides in a little olive oil and garlic over medium-high heat, sprinkling with salt, pepper, and a little paprika. Add the onions, celery, and carrots (you can add a bit more olive oil if it's dry), and stir occasionally until they start to soften. Add the chicken broth, barley, and tomatoes, and add a pinch of turmeric and paprika. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer until the barley is cooked, about 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment