Sunday, March 11, 2012

Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan


(inspired by Eataly)

Joef and I finally made it to Eataly last weekend. We've been wanting to go since it opened, and we finally got the chance on a weekend trip to NYC.

It was pretty impressive - just huge. The selection was staggering (and you pay for that selection). At the same time, while I really enjoyed myself there and am glad I went, I think ultimately I'm more impressed by the small, family-owned Italian groceries that we used to go to in Chicago and that exist all over New York. I feel like you can get just about whatever authentic ingredient you want there, too. That being said, it was definitely worth the visit.

We ate at the pasta restaurant (La Pasta, appropriately), and for the antipasto misto, one of the three items was a delicious shredded brussels sprouts dish with pecorino and olive oil. I decided it wouldn't be too difficult to recreate, and since I'm on a brussels sprouts kick, hey, why not?

I think I almost got it. Next time, I'd cut off more off of the ends of the sprouts, because I think they get a little more bitter. Also, I'm trying to figure out if they blanched the sprouts beforehand or not - mine were a little crunchier, more like a slaw. Still, they were really good - a nice side dish with steaks with herbed butter and some orzo.

1 package fresh brussels sprouts, sliced thin
Olive oil
Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
Lemon juice, fresh-squeezed, optional

When you prep the sprouts, make sure to peel off the outer leaves that may be browned or yellowed. Once you've sliced them, put them in a bowl, and add olive oil, parmesan, and salt and pepper to taste. I'm not sure about proportions (wow, what a great recipe!), but enough olive oil to coat, and parmesan to taste. Add a squeeze of two of lemon juice, stir, and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment