Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tortellini in Brodo (Chicken Soup with Tortellini)


Joef was sick this week, so I had a great excuse to make chicken soup, which for me is really just an excuse to make tortellini. I love tortellini. I made extra, plain, and just popped them like candy the next day. That's good for me, right?

Anyway - this recipe cheats a little bit, because I used chicken broth instead of letting the chicken make its own broth (use water to just cover the chicken, season with salt, and let cook for a nice, long, long time). Usually I also prefer to use chicken drumsticks, but hey, you work with what you got. In either case, it's good for what ails you.

Splash or two of olive oil
2 chicken breasts (or five chicken drumsticks), chopped into cubes
1/2 or one whole white onion, quartered
1 stick celery, thinly sliced
6-8 baby carrots, chopped into thirds
8 cups of water
4-5 tsp chicken bouillon
Dried or fresh dill
1/2 package tortellini
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste

Splash a little olive oil in a large pot, and turn the heat to medium-high. Add chicken, onion, celery, and carrots, and top with a little ground black pepper and a couple of dashes of dill. Stir and brown the chicken on all sides, then add water and bouillon and more dill. (I love dill, so I add plenty.) Bring to a boil, then turn to low and allow to simmer, covered or partially covered, for at least 20-30 minutes. Return to a boil and add your tortellini right into the pot, and cook according to instructions. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment