Monday, January 24, 2011

Braised Pork Chops with Sage and Tomatoes

(adapted from Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking)

Marcella. Let me explain. As I've said many a time before, everything my parents cook is phenomenal. I've rarely seen them use cookbooks. But when they did, it was Marcella. Frequently when I'd come home from school and ask my dad what he was making for dinner, all he'd have to say was, "Marcella!" - and we were pretty much guaranteed a knock-out meal. I think the name of her cookbook really sums it up - Marcella Hazan is the essential classic Italian cook, at least in my book. I have honestly been pining for her cookbook. So when my dad offered an extra copy he had on hand, I snatched it up.

This book seriously has everything. And I want to make it all. I started with these pork chops, and was not disappointed.

1 tbsp butter
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 pork loin chops (pat dry)
Flour spread on a plate
3-4 fresh sage leaves
Salt
Ground black pepper
3/4 cup canned Italian plum tomatoes, cut up with their juice

In a large rimmed saute pan, heat the butter and oil over medium-high. When the foam from the butter starts to subside, dust each chop with flour on both sides, shaking off the excess, and slip them into the pan with the sage. Brown the chops on each side (1-2 minutes per side).

Add salt and some pepper along with the tomatoes and their juice. Turn the heat to low and cover the plan with the lid slightly ajar. Cook for about 20 minutes (up to 60, per Marcella, but we didn't have the patience), turning occasionally, until the meat is cooked and tender. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment