Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Italian" Puppy Treats

That's right, folks. These are the depths to which we have fallen...or the new heights we've reached! The pug is officially spoiled - but was that ever really in question?

Over the weekend I discovered a new obsession: The Daily Puglet. Puglet is, as you may have guessed, a pug who occasionally posts "cookie" recipes. This one caught my eye - maybe because it includes tomato paste and parmesan cheese (hence "Italian" treats). Pancake is thoroughly enjoying them.

I modified the recipe considerably - first, I was too cheap to buy oat flour. Then, it was much to liquidy, so I added more rice flour. A lot more. Still too runny. Added cornmeal. And more. And back to the rice flour...you get the idea. Lucky for me, Pancake's not picky.

They still were pretty sticky, but baked up well. I've posted below a modification to the original recipe based on my experience - I'm not 100% sure how the consistency will turn out, but hey - give it a shot!

1 cup cornmeal
1 1/4 cup rice flour
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 egg
2 1/3 cup water


Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients together and mix until a dough forms. Roll into little treat-sized rounds (if they're too sticky to roll, that's OK).

Bake 20-25 minutes. Transfer and let cool completely. Store the cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

(P.S. Yes, this is a dogs-only recipe!)

No comments:

Post a Comment