Thursday, March 31, 2011

Spaghetti with Meatballs!


Here's the deal, folks: I LOVE meatballs. I love them with spaghetti, on a sub, plain - you name it. They don't even have to be that good. (Fortunately, these are delicious - even better.) Honestly, I don't know why I don't make them more often, and I can't believe I haven't made them since I started this blog...in March 2010. I mean, really? What was I thinking? I made these on a weeknight, for goodness' sake - the cook time is a little long, but the prep is short and simple.

This definitely makes more than you need for one night. So much the better!

1 lb spaghetti
Olive oil

MEATBALLS
1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 tbsp or so parsley
Salt
Ground pepper

SAUCE
2 tbsp or so olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
6-8 baby carrots, sliced thin
1 stalk celery, halved and sliced thin
A couple sprinkles "Italian" seasoning mix (basil, parsley, oregano)
1 large can Italian whole, peeled tomatoes
1 regular can tomato sauce
Salt to taste

Start by making your meatballs. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, and mash up with your hands until completely and evenly combined. (Yeah, yeah, it's gross.)

Now, get your sauce started. Drizzle olive oil in a sauce pot, then add the garlic, carrots, and celery and saute over medium heat until slightly softened. Add both cans of tomatoes and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.

While the sauce is simmering, heat some olive oil in a large pan. Roll the meat into balls using your hands, and place each one in the oil to brown. Brown on all sides, then pour (oil and all) into the sauce.

Bring the sauce back to a boil for a couple minutes, then turn heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 45-60 minutes.

About 15 minutes before you're done cooking the sauce, cook your pasta.

Pour sauce and a couple meatballs over spaghetti, top with grated parmesan, and it's Lady and the Tramp all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment