Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Smoked Pineapple Chicken

(adapted from 1,001 Best Hot and Spicy Recipes, by Dave DeWitt)

I've gotta say, this cookbook is really a winner. I mean, OK, this is only my second recipe from it, but both have been seriously good. And not too tough to make, really. This had more ingredients than I usually like to see, and really, it was worth it. It really turned out kind of like a paella. It's smoky (from the chipotles), creamy in texture with nice bites of veggies, and all-around satisfying. The book says it's Guatemalan. Plus, I feel like I've been in a little bit of a cooking dry spell, and this revived me!

I will say that I balked and did not add the final ingredient - raisins. I don't know, I just can't do it. It probably would've been good, and I probably need to get over it. I mean, I love raisins...I'm just not sure about them cooked in food. How unadventurous of me, I know. (If you're a better person than I, you can add an 1/8 of a cup with the reserved broth at the end.)

But I did go for the pineapple! And you should, too!

OK:
1.5 lbs of chicken parts, cut up, or 5 drumsticks
2 cups water
1/4 tsp salt, plus more to taste
1/4 tsp ground pepper, plus more to taste
1.5 tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 onion, peeled and chopped
1-2 tsp finely chopped parsley, divided
1/2 red bell pepper, seeds and stems removed, finely sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, seeds and stems removed, chopped
1-1.5 chipotle chiles, soaked in water and then pureed
2 garlic cloved, chopped
1.5 carrots, sliced
1/4 lb sugar snap or snow peas, or both
1/2 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground cumin
A pinch of Naga Jolokia, if you have it
3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes, with liquid from the whole can
2 cups uncooked rice, long or medium-grain

In a large pot, combine the chicken with 2 cups of water, salt to taste, pepper to taste, and 1 tsp parsley. This will cook your chicken and make broth. Cook for about 25 minutes. Remove the chicken, reserve the broth, and cut the chicken into bite-size pieces (careful, it's hot!).

To a certain extent, you can start the next step while the chicken is cooking, but unless your timing is really good, you may have to turn the veggies off mid-way (for example, I started cooking this, added the rice and chicken, turned off the heat, then added the chicken and turned the heat back on). In any case: in another large pot, heat the oil over low. Add the onion and parsley and let the onion get translucent without browning. Stir in the bell peppers, chipotle puree, garlic, carrots, peas, pineapple, oregano, turmeric, salt, pepper, Naga, and cumin. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their liquid, along with the rice, the chicken, and 2 cups of broth. Mix and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed - just like you'd cook rice. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Does the original recipe from the book call for Jolokia? I was wondering if he used the superhots in his new book at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the original recipe calls for coban chiles or chipotles. So we kicked it up just a bit :)

      Delete