Sunday, May 1, 2011

Soy Vay Stir Fry

This is one of those posts where I feel like I'm cheating a little bit. I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to stir fry. And really, I'm not doing much - the sauce (Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki) really does most of the work. So now that that I've caveated the heck out of that, I'm going to post "my" "recipe" anyway, because it was delicious.

Can I add another caveat? I really don't know the measurements or cook times for this. I assume that most people do what I do - just throw in a bunch of stuff until it seems right (lucky me, I had leftover ingredients from the Smoked Pineapple Chicken). So this is kind of how it went:

Peanut oil
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
8-10 baby carrots, sliced
4 dried tien tsin chiles, whole (optional)
1 lb chicken breast, cut into cubes
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 red bell pepper
Handful or so of snow peas and/or sugar snap peas
Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki, or stir fry sauce of choice
1.5-2 cups rice

Pour peanut oil into a wok over medium-high heat, and add garlic, onions, and carrots. Let that soften a bit and get flavorful, then add the chicken and heat, stirring around occasionally, until cooked through. (This is where I should have added the chiles, too, so that their heat could do their work - maybe even with the garlic. As it was, I added them with the veggies and it was too late for it to get spicy. I added some habanero flakes after the dish was cooked to make up for it.)

When chicken has cooked, add the bell pepper and snow peas, along with Soy Vay sauce. How much? Enough so, you know, you have a sauce for the rice that you'll serve this over. A good glugs and a couple pours. Eyeball it. Cook, stirring everything around to get coated in the sauce, for a couple minutes, depending on how firm you want the peppers and peas to be (I like them to have a little crunch). Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment