Thursday, June 3, 2010

Simplest Tomato Sauce



(pug not included)

(blatantly stolen from Smitten Kitchen, which adapted it from Marcela Hazan (!!))

This is truly the simplest of simple recipes. I mean, I'm all about minimalizing ingredients for maximum enjoyment, and this is on another level all together. Combine that with the fact that it's pretty delicious - very sweet - and you have a winner. This would also make a great base for amatriciana, where the only real difference would be the addition of pancetta. But it was good on its own, too.

Also, these noodles were too fun.

Here's all it takes:
28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes (preferably San Marzano)
1 lb, er, "telephone cord" pasta
1 yellow onion, peeled and halved
1/2 stick butter
Salt as needed/to taste
Parmesan cheese for serving

And here is all you do: Dump the tomatoes, the butter, and the onion in a pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then lower the heat to allow it to simmer gently for about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally, and mash the tomatoes against the side of the pot to break them up.

And that is it. I mean, you can throw a pinch of salt in there if you need it. And I used parmesan cheese liberally. It was great heated up for lunch today, too.

Did I mention that was it?

1 comment:

  1. Made this for dinner tonight for myself and my cousins who just had a baby (3 days ago). Delicious! FYI, I did not use San Marzano tomatoes and it did not make enough sauce for 1 lb. of noodles. Oops! I'll listen to the recommendations more closely next time. :)

    P.S. My cousins also said "These noodles are so fun! Way better than spaghetti."

    ReplyDelete