Friday, June 11, 2010

Lentil Soup


Joef is out of town this weekend, so it's time to make all the things he won't eat! Tonight, it's lentils. Lentil soup, specifically, in spite of the fact that it's in the 80s and horridly humid outside.

I had to give my folks a call for the recipe (and got two different versions) - lentil soup is a joke in my house, because growing up it seemed like every time I asked what was for dinner, "lentil soup" was the answer. Small wonder - it's simple, healthy, delicious. And, because it's my family, there's pasta in it! When I left home for college, I craved lentil soup much more than I thought I would. So, finally I get to make it in my home.

I'll give you the version I made (because of the ingredients I had) - and then tell you how to kick it up a little if ya want (surprise, it involves pork product!).

Olive oil
1 "snack-sized" package of baby carrots, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/3 16 oz package of brown lentils
1 can tomato sauce
2.5 cans water
1/4-1/2 lb pasta - tubetti, or fiori (in my case), or spaghetti, broken up
Mozzarella cheese (fresh or otherwise) and parmesan cheese for finishing

Slice 2 cloves of garlic, and saute it in olive oil (drizzled liberally into the pan until it coats the bottom of the pan). Add a little sliced carrot (and a pinch of salt, if you want), let it saute just a bit over medium, then add the lentils, mix in, and cover, simmering over low heat for about five minutes (letting the lentils absorb the olive oil).

Add tomato sauce and water, bring to a boil, then turn to low and let cook 45-60 minutes (or until lentils are soft), partially covered.

Bring the soup back to a boil, then add the pasta and the spinach. Cook until pasta is done.

Serve with mozzarella cheese (melts deliciously into the soup) and parmesan.

Alright, want to kick it up? Add pancetta with the garlic and carrots, and add parmesan cheese rind when you add the pasta. Mmm hmmmm.

(OK, final note: I have to admit that, unaccording to custom, I wrote this out before actually trying the soup...and OH MY GOSH, who KNEW lentil soup could be so good?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment