Sunday, May 23, 2010

Tequila-Lime and Lemon-Mustard Chicken Marinades


Wow, I have been lazy, haven't I? This is the only problem with a food blog - it keeps track of how well I'm doing at making my own food rather than ordering Thai or driving to Chipotle.

In any case, after weeks of forty-degree weather, Madison finally jumped right into the 90s today, and the 80s last night, which is when we grilled chicken on our friends' penthouse rooftop (ooh, sounds fancy). We finally found some time to actually marinate chicken (about 3-4 hours), and I say "we" because Joef and I each made our own marinades, according to our tastes. Yes, you guessed it, Joef's had habanero, and mine had garlic. Actually, Joef says he would have "quadrupled" the amount of habanero, and for once I agreed with him that it wasn't overly spicy (it was just about right, really, in my opinion). In any case, these (as always) can be adjusted to your own personal taste.

We each marinated a pound of chicken tenders (man, those things shrink on the grill) by mixing the sauces, adding the chicken, and letting the flavors blend in a bowl or ziploc bad in the fridge for about three hours.

We also both approximated the quantities as we went, so unfortunately our record-keeping in that area is a little sketchy. My sense is, though, that you could vary the quantities according to your taste, just making sure that there's enough sauce to cover all the chicken.

TEQUILA-LIME MARINADE (on the right)
Chili paste/sauce
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 habanero, chopped
Tequila
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Soy sauce

LEMON-MUSTARD MARINADE (on the left)
2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
Dijon mustard
Olive oil
Splash of balsamic vinegar
Rosemary leaves
Juice of 1 lemon
Ground pepper
Salt (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment