Monday, May 9, 2011

Bean and Pasta Soup with Broccoli Rabe

I don't quite know what was wrong with me, but I used to not be a fan of soups like these. Some foolish phase of my youth, no doubt. Because I didn't just tolerate this soup - I really loved it. Like, I could crave this soup in the future. I plan to add it to the usual rotation (clam sauce, carbonara, meat sauce, amatriciana, tomato sauce, takeout, takeout, repeat...). It's simple, satisfying, delicious, and makes you feel somewhat healthy. And as I'm not one of those people who won't eat hot, thick soups in the summer, I see no reason why that season's approach should stop me, either.

So, let's get to it:

1-2 slices pancetta, thick-sliced, chopped
1 small yellow onion, diced
8-10 baby carrots, sliced thin
1 stalk celery, sliced thin
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
Ground pepper
Pinch or two rosemary
Olive oil
Generous handful or so broccoli rabe, stems mostly removed
8 cups chicken broth
2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1/3-1/2 lb small, short pasta
Parmesan cheese for serving

Add the pancetta, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, rosemary, and ground pepper to taste to a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Stir ingredients to coat in olive oil and allow to soften a bit and become aromatic.

When the onions become translucent, stir in the rabe. Heat with the other ingredients until it begins to wilt, then add the chicken broth and let the rabe wilt completely. Add the cannellini beans, bring soup to a boil, and turn down to low and partially cover to simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Turn up the heat to bring to a boil again, and add your pasta. Cook until pasta is al dente. Pour soup into bowls and serve with grated parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment