Monday, May 16, 2011

Chocolate Lava Cake

(from...sigh...Woman's Day)

This is how much I love my husband: I, against my better judgment, bought a copy of Woman's Day magazine because it had a picture of a chocolate lava cake on the cover ("We *heart* this 15-minute warm chocolate dessert!") and it seemed like he might die of privation if we didn't go home and make it immediately. And yes, yes, the cake was worth the obnoxious magazine purchase.

This is the second time I've made these, and I will say there is one thing I can't figure out. The recipe says you're supposed to take the ramekins out of the oven, let them sit for under a minute, and then flip them over to let the cake drop out. Number one, those things are baking-hot and it's not easy to maneuver a ramekin with giant oven mitts on. Number two, I just can't get them to pop out all nice and pretty. Some of the cake inevitably gets left behind in the ramekin. Maybe if I let it sit in there longer. In any case, I gave up and opted for just serving it right in the ramekin. Now, this means you can't see the melty, molten chocolate center (it's there, I tell you!), but hey. Use your imagination.

For two mini-cakes:
4 tbsp unsalted butter (gasp), plus more for the ramekins
1 tbsp flour, plus more for the ramekins
1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips (these are a few of my favorite thiiiiiings...)
1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
2 tbsp granulated sugar

Heat oven to 450. Butter two 6 oz ramekins and dust the insides with flour.

Place the butter and chocolate in a glass bowl and microwave on high in 20-second intervals, stirring after each, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.

Using an electric mixer, beat the egg and sugar in a medium bowl until thick and lighter in color, about 1 minute. Add the melted chocolate and flour and beat until combined and smooth.

Divide the batter between the two ramekins, and bake until the edges are set, about 8-10 minutes. (Here's where it gets...difficult.) Let stand for 15 seconds. Run a knife around the edge, then invert each cake onto a plate (if you figure this out, tell me; otherwise, just eat it out of the ramekin). Dust with confectioner's sugar if you have it, and garnish with mint if you just happened to have made mint juleps.

No comments:

Post a Comment