Thursday, May 26, 2011

Tandoori-Style Chicken

(adapted from Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking)

My first Indian dish, thanks to Archana, who got this great cookbook for me as my Secret Santa in December, and who took me spice shopping at the Indian grocery store. I started with this recipe partially because I had all the ingredients on-hand (thanks to that grocery trip!). It was delicious! As you can tell  from the picture, I probably should have included a vegetable, but hey - this was a first attempt.

Did you know that tandoori chicken's red color actually comes from food coloring? I didn't! I skipped that part, obviously.

So, I've always avoided recipes that require marinating. I just don't plan that far ahead. But what happened here was that I started making it, realized it was going to have to marinate for 6-24 hours, and so I went for it. I made the marinade for the chicken, let it sit overnight, and then just popped it in the oven the next night! It was great, actually. The marinade process was minimal on the first night, and then the actual cooking the next night was even simpler. To more marinades!

The red sauce on the side is mango pickle (thanks again, Archana and the Indian grocery store!) - I kind of feel about it the way I feel like hot wing sauce: I'm not sure if I like it, but I can't stop tasting it. Very tangy.

Anyway, this was really, really tasty, and I can't wait to try more recipes from this book.

I halved the recipe, but I've provided the full 4-6 serving version here.

2.5 lbs chicken pieces, skinned (legs, breasts, or both)
1 tsp salt
1 juicy lemon
1 3/4 cups plain yogurt
1/2 medium onion, peeled and quartered
1 clove garlic, peeled
3/4 inch cube fresh ginger, peeled and quartered
1/2 fresh, hot green chili, roughly sliced (I totally had the wrong kind, but it worked well enough)
2 tsp garam masala
Lime wedges (I bought these, and forgot to use them)

NIGHT ONE: MARINATE
Cut two long slits on each side of each part of the legs and/or breasts. The slits shouldn't start at an edge, and they should reach down to the bone.

Spread the chicken pieces out on one or two large platters. Sprinkle half the salt and squeeze the juice from 3/4 of the lemon over them. Turn the chicken pieces over and do the same on the other side with the rest of the salt and lemon juice. Set aside for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine the yogurt, onion, garlic, ginger, green chili, and garam masala in the container of an electric blender or food processor. Blend into a smooth paste. Empty the paste into a strainer placed over a large bowl. Push the paste through.

Put the chicken in a gallon-sized ziploc bag, and pour in the paste. Seal the bag and use your hands to mix the chicken in the marinade, making sure the marinade gets into the slits in the chicken. Place in the refrigerator for  6-24 hours.

NIGHT TWO: BAKE
Preheat the oven to its maximum temperature. Take the chicken pieces out of the bag and arrange them in a large shallow baking pan in a single layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until just done. Serve hot, with lime wedges if you remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment